wfrench

  • 91 Memories
  • 168 Audios
  • 28 Documents
  • 141 Images
  • 9 Links
  • 6 Videos

Created a Memory

1 year 2 weeks ago Hot Diggity Drive-In & Restaurant

The Hot Diggity Drive-In Restaurant was a short lived food establishment overlooking Lake Barton. It first appears in the November 1956 telephone directory, but there was not a listing in the Yellow Pages. The address at that time was 5053 Santa Rosa Drive, the street that runs semi-parallel to and just north of East Colonial Drive. In the 1957 directory the address is listed as 5098 E. Colonial Drive.

The small ad in the Yellow Pages states that the restaurant has a "Patio & Roof...

organization

Created an Image

1 year 2 months ago University Club Demolished to Make Way for High Rise

Photograph from the top of the city's Library Parking Garage of the demolition of the University Club next door, in preparation for a new high rise.

image

Contributed to an Image

1 year 1 month ago University Club Demolition

Photograph from atop the Orlando Public Library of the demolition of the Univeristy Club across the street. 

image

Created a Document

11 months 2 weeks ago Azalea Park - An Illustrated History

Various residents of the Azalea Park neighborhood have researched and gathered the information and illustrations for this history.  We hope that you will enjoy it and be inspired.

document

Created a Document

1 year 2 months ago CHS Parades

CHS's early homecoming and Christmas parades, photographed by Tim Orwick.

document

Created a Document

1 year 2 months ago CHS Campus Beginnings

CHS opened in 1958, and student photographer Tim Orwick had captured its formative months. Use the PDF link above to enjoy this historic collection.

document

Created a Document

1 year 2 months ago CHS Football: The Early Years

These photographs of the early years of CHS football are supplied by Tim Orwick, who was a student photographer at CHS during the first years. (Use the PDF link above to view the document.)Read more about this high school.

document

Created a Document

1 year 2 months ago Love Under A Schoolhouse Roof

In 1968 the parents and teachers of LCES P.T.A. published a 58 page book, Love Under a Schoolhouse Roof, wanting to document “the history of a school which has meant so much to so many people.” (From the Introduction.) The book was dedicated to the school’s first principal, Opal Johnson, who, among other honors she received, was selected in 1960 as a representative to the White House Conference on Education.

Please see the article about LCES.

document

Created an Image

1 year 2 months ago LCES Second Grade Class 1953

This photo of a second grade class was submitted by Sherry Meadows Lewis. Please see the article.

image

Created an Image

1 year 2 months ago LCES

The original front entrance to LCES,  1951-2016. Please see article.

image